The Auditorium Parco della Musica represents a sophisticated music architecture and an extraordinary urban improvement work.
Its history started in 1993 when the City of Rome published a new international call of tender to find “home” to the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia who was left without its original headquarter: in 1935 Mussolini demolished the old Augusteo built on the Mausoleum of Augustus.
The City of Rome provides a public area located between the Olympic Village and the Flaminio Stadium, a completely run-down and abandoned area just few kilometres from the city centre along via Flaminia. The aim was to fill a gap, an urban rift: “transforming the
suburbs or those places forgotten by the city development in urban areas can be achieved by giving these gaps collective and gathering functions….” (Renzo Piano).
On July 27th, 1994, Renzo Piano and Renzo Piano Building Workshop won the project. On January 15th 1995 the project was delivered to the City of Rome. Constructions were interrupted in November because they found the rests of an ancient Roman villa. This meant to reconsider the project, presented again in 1996, when they decided to fully integrate them in the conceived complex. Construction works started again. In winter 1998 the construction of one of the parking lots finished, but some issues regarding the winning companies of the
first call of tender arouse. On April 21st, 2002, Petrassi and Sinopoli Halls were inaugurated. The opening of Santa Cecilia Hall took place on December 21st, 2022. The first months of 2003 the complex was finished, and it started to run at full speed.